|Materials Science & Engineering, MissouriUniversity of Science and Technology; 282 McNutt Hall, Rolla, MO 65409-0340; Phone:(573) 341-4725; Fax:(573) 341-6934; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Joseph W. Newkirk, PhD, FAΣM, FASM
Professor, Department of Materials Science & Engineering, 282 McNutt, Rolla MO 65409 Phone (573)341-4725, Fax: (573) 341.6934, email@example.com
Research Associate, Center for Advanced Manufacturing Technology
Research Associate, Graduate Center for Materials Research
Faculty, Manufacturing Engineering Program
Faculty Advisor, Alpha Sigma Mu
Faculty Advisor, Blacksmith Club of Rolla
Additive manufacturing, powder metallurgy, wear and corrosion resistant alloys, high temperature materials, aerospace materials, nuclear materials, and heat treating.
Ph.D. (Materials Science), University of Virginia, 1983.
M.S. (Physics), Miami University, 1979.
B.S. (Physics), Miami University, 1977.
Selected Professional Leadership
Editorial Board, Journal of ASTM International -
Editorial Board, International Journal of Powder Metallurgy
Editorial Board, Encyclopedia of Aluminum and Its Alloys
President, Alpha Sigma Mu
US Patent #6,342,181, 1/2902 “Corrosion Resistant Nickel-Based Alloy.” Inventor with S. Zhang.
US Patent #8,617,661, “Systems and Methods for Fabricating a Direct Metal Deposition Structure Having Fully Forged Structural Qualities,” Inventor with F. Liou and R. Francis.
- M.Dixit, J.W. Newkirk, and R.S. Mishra, “Properties of friction stir processed - Al 1100-NiTi composite,” Scripta Materialia 56, pp. 541-544 (2007).
- F. Liou, K. Slattery, M. Kinsella, J. Newkirk, H.N. Chou, and R. Landers, “Applications of a Hybrid Manufacturing Process for Fabrication of Metallic Structures,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 13, No. 4, 2007, pp. 236-244.
- S. Barua, F. Liou, J. Newkirk, and T. Sparks, “Vision Based Defect Detection in Laser Metal Deposition Process,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 20/1, pp. 77-86, 2014.
- T. Amine, J.W. Newkirk, and F. Liou, “An Investigation of the Effect of Direct Metal Deposition Parameters on the Characteristics of the Deposited Layers,” Case Studies in Thermal Engineering 3, pp. 21-34. 2014.
- Sistla, H.R., Newkirk, J.W., Frank Liou, F., “Effect of Al/Ni Ratio, Heat Treatment on Phase Transformations and Microstructure of AlxFeCoCrNi2-x (x= 0.3, 1) High Entropy Alloys,” Materials & Design, 81, pp. 113-121 (2015).
- Tarak Amine, J.W. Newkirk, and F. Liou, “Methodology for Studying Effect of Cooling Rate during Laser Deposition on Microstructure,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 3129-3136, (2015).
- J.H. Hsu, C.M. Larson, J.W. Newkirk, R.K. Brow, S.H. Zhang, “The Corrosion Behavior of Ni3(Si,Nb) Alloys in Boiling 70 wt.% Sulfuric Acid” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol 25, 2, pp. 510-517, 2016.
- R. Francis, F. Liou, and J.W. Newkirk, “Investigation of Forged-Like Microstructure Produced by A Hybrid Manufacturing Process,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 22, No.4, pp. 717-726 (2016).
Books or Book Chapters
- ASM Handbook: Vol. 7, Powder Metal Technologies and Applications, Co-Editor with P. Samal, October 2015.